Thursday, September 8, 2011

Custer State Park and Iron Mountain Road

I wasn't very optimistic entering Custer State Park, despite the promise of buffalo in the southern part of the park, awaiting roundup. We didn't see the buffalo, but fortunately I have been here before and I wasn't too disapppointed. I did enjoy the pronghon (which I had somewhat tentatively identified as "elk" ) and, especially, the herd of donkeys. They are much as I remember them, though maybe even more brazen. I'm surprised that people dare to feed and pet wild animals, but it was fun to watch.

The day was beautifully sunny, and the high prairie was starting to show signs of fall, gold rather than rust or red. We rode up to about a 5200 feet in altitude (something we notice now, though never before this trip) after leaving the park, on Iron Mountain Road where Bob had ridden with the boys on their summer motorcycle trip. It was all new for me, and he enjoyed showing me the lovely territory they had been through in July.

We were tired by five, and stopped at a Holiday Inn Express for the night. We just came back from a swim in the empty pool. The Green Bay Packers are beating the New Orleans Saint 42-27, with 10 minutes to go. Not looking forward to the first GBP-Vikes game this season!

We are less tired in the evening now, but will still be in bed shortly after 10. Back to central time tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment