Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Rocky Mountain Wildlife

My first purchases in Colorado were three trifold cards: Colorado wildlife, Birds of Colorado, Colorado Flowers and Plants. I've seen plenty of plants, though not as many wildflowers as I had hoped. I did have the exciting osprey sighting but have heard more birds that I've seen. Otherwise, the count is pretty dismal: deer grazing on the side of the freeway, in Nebraska near Wyoming; a rabbit in Nebraska; a couple of elk in the distance in Rocky Mountain National Park; a herd of elk (or maybe mule deer) at the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park -- but I was a long way off and had to rely on Bob to take a picture.

Today, though, we saw a sad little scene on the road to Pike's Peak. A small marmot was on the side of the road,  apparently grieving the death of his companion, splattered all over the roadway. As we drove past, the little creature stood up on its hind legs as if to wave goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment